They say there’s no cure for the common cold. While it is true that it can’t always be prevented, there are cures for the symptoms that come with a cold.
A cold is a kind of infection that can be caused by different types of viruses. Some of the common symptoms of a cold are headache, runny nose, cough, high fever, itchy eyes, sore throat, body aches and so on.
It is important to treat a cold before it leads to other infections like strep throat, bronchitis and pneumonia.
Many natural treatments offer effective relief from the various symptoms of a common cold without any side effects.
Garlic’s antibacterial and antiviral properties can be very helpful in getting rid of cold symptoms. Garlic is good for the immune system and helps open up respiratory passages, and also helps flush toxins out of your body.
Home remedy for common cold
- Mix together one crushed garlic clove, two teaspoons lemon juice, one teaspoon honey, and half a teaspoon cayenne pepper or red chilli powder. Consume it daily until the symptoms subside.
- Boil four to five chopped garlic cloves in a cup of water and add one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink it two to three times a day.
- You can also eat raw garlic or use a few drops of garlic oil in your food and drinks.
Honey can be of great help in soothing an irritated throat as well as shortening the lifespan of a cold. The high amount of nutrients and enzymes in honey help kill bacteria and viruses that cause colds.
Common cold lemon honey remedy
- The simplest home remedy is to consume a mixture of one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey. Take it every two hours to get immense relief from your cold and sore throat.
- If you prefer, you can simply swallow a spoonful of raw honey.
Pepper is one of the most readily available natural treatments for various symptoms of a common cold. The capsaicin present in pepper helps thin the mucus and provide relief from congestion.
If you are suffering from a runny nose, put pepper on your food when you eat a meal. You can also gargle with a teaspoon of black pepper mixed in a glass of warm water.
If you cannot eat or drink pepper, you can still benefit from smelling pepper throughout the day.
Ginger can be helpful in treating common cold and its symptoms due to its antiviral, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eat raw ginger or drink ginger tea several times a day. For enhance the effectiveness of ginger tea, add a lemon juice and honey to it.
You can also make a paste of ginger, cloves and salt and eat one-half teaspoon of it two times a day.
- For a runny nose, mix equal amounts of dry ginger powder, clarified butter (ghee) and jaggery (gur), a natural sweetener. Consume this mixture daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
5. Chicken Soup
Chicken soup has many essential nutrients and vitamins that help treat common cold symptoms. The high antioxidant properties in chicken soup speed up the healing process.
In addition, it will boost immunity and restore strength in your weary body. For best results, make homemade chicken soup using organic vegetables and chicken.
I hope this article will be useful for you.